Antony, I encourage you to visit the two posts about Puzzle Solver at my blog:
Many people chimed in with their gripes about the program.
From my standpoint, it navigates just like Across Lite. Never knew there were all those other tricks in AL! (Some of which aren't available on my Mac anyway.)
My critiques are:
1. Would be nice to customize the color. That highlighter-yellow square bugs me.
2. The Open and Save dialog boxes are weird. Clunky, nonintuitive. "Save" should default to having the current puzzle's filename in the filename field. For both "Open" and "Save," the way the folders/files/hierarchy are displayed in Solver is unlike all the other Mac applications I use.
3. It's counterintuitive to pause the timer by clicking the clock, and restart it by clicking "pause." Timer should also stop automatically when you successfully finish a crossword.
4. Timer should also be allowed to reset to 0:00. If I open a puzzle and get distracted before I start, I want to reset the timer and start at 0:00.
5. I seldom print out puzzles, but as others have said, a good single-page printout with nice format is crucial whenever printing a puzzle.
6. Not sure if this is specific to my machine (6-month-old iMac running OS 10.6.6), but every single time I launch the application, I get a warning: "Puzzle Solver is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" Yes! I do! Every day! Quit getting in my way! And I don't quit the app--I just use a different application and next time I click Solver in the dock, it warns me yet again.
7. Would be good to be able to have multiple .jpz puzzles open at once. (Mac Across Lite limits me to one puzzle. Black Ink allows multiple puzzles, but always hides the most current one when I leave the app for a moment, which is annoying. Surely you can improve on both??)
8. Would be great to make clues and answers copy-and-pasteable. Granted, this feature wouldn't be used by many people, but it would help me as a crossword blogger! Black Ink allows this, but once I've opened a .puz in Solver, I can't open it as a .puz in Black Ink anymore.